This was originally posted in the fall of 2020, but could be adapted to be used anytime!
Halloween is just around the corner and we thought we’d share a few ideas that will work during this season of social distancing. Thanks to everyone who contributed in the Alongside Young Life Leaders Facebook group!
- Costume Photo Scavenger Hunt. Meet at a public place or park and separate students into a few groups for a photo scavenger hunt in costume!
- Reverse Trick or Treat. Have your middle and high school friends dress up and leaders drive-by their homes and deliver treats or games. You can snap a photo of their costume and have a virtual costume contest!
- Outdoor movie showing of Hocus Pocus. Gather in a parking lot, have students tailgate, or bring camp chairs, handout candy and popcorn, and view Hocus Pocus or another classic Halloween movie.
- Dress up and invite your high school friends to drive by for a treat. Halloween is on a Saturday this year so you could do this Saturday evening when you know kids are looking for something to do.
- Mask decorating or pumpkin carving. Set up tables outside, have a Halloween playlist playing, and some treats or if gathering in a backyard you could build a bonfire and make S’mores.
- Trunk or Treat. Invite the students to dress up and decorate their car to go with their costumes and gather at a large parking lot and tailgate, play games, have a costume contest.
- Pumpkin Smash.
- A “Haunted” Hike. Set up a haunted hike at a public trail, send students on the trail in small groups of friends, and have leaders lead the groups and run the spooky stuff.
- Pumpkin Olympics. This one is especially good if your club is happening after Halloween and you’re able to snag a lot of pumpkins at a discounted price. You can get more information on putting together a Pumpkin Olympics in last year’s Costume Club post.
- Having a virtual club? You can play the Chauffer Dress Up Challenge shared with us by K.C. Bealo. It’s a super fun idea!
- The Great Pumpkin Hunt. Get more details on how we’ve done this in the past.
- Need an easy upfront game or virtual game? You can play PSL versus the Internet.
Do you have other ideas to contribute?
Email us here and we’ll add them to this post!