As the school year comes to an end, let’s be Young Life leaders who thank people well. My Area Director in college repeatedly drilled three things into our skulls:
- Pray First.
- Thank People Well.
- Have good breath when doing contact work.
Who Do You Need To Thank?
- The principal at your school didn’t have to let you come to lunch. Send them a note with a $10 Subway gift card saying “Thanks for letting us eat lunch with your kids this year. Enjoy a lunch on us this summer. Sincerely, the Smith Middle Young Life Team.”
- Athletic Director
- Remember those athletic passes your YL team got at the beginning of the year. Think how much $ they saved you. What about a picture of your YL team holding a sign saying “We heart Coach Mac” for the AD’s office?
- Club/Campaigners Host Homes
- That family let you have fifty middle schoolers invade their basement.
- The mom who cooked dinner for your Campaigners group more times than you can count.
- That dad is still repairing the damage from when your sumo-suit put a crater in his garage wall.
- Area Director
- Being a YL AD is no easy task. Area Directors spend tons of time making it possible for us to be YL leaders. Send them a note of encouragement thanking them for leading well and be specific about how they’ve encouraged you.
- If you’re married, make the effort to thank your spouse for allowing you to pursue this calling. What if you gathered some of your high school friends to put on a mini ‘YL club’ for the purpose of celebrating your spouse? Or how about a needed Date Night now that club is taking a summer break?
- Middle/High School Friend
- Do you have some kids in your YL club that went the extra mile to help out at YL this year? Model gratitude for them by sending an unexpected note. Print a pic of you with your middle/high school friend and turn it into a postcard.
- Celebrate this year by thanking the One who made it all possible. Build an ebenezer. Remember God’s faithfulness!
Psalm 100:4- Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise, give thanks to Him and praise His name.