If you have a LONG bus ride to summer camp, here are tons of ideas to help fill the time. Another fun bus activity is to simply play BUS TRIVIA.
Below are 10 things I usually do when we play on trips:
- Give prizes! They go a long way to giving kids buy-in when playing the game. Offer a milkshake at the next food stop for the first place winner.
- In order to buzz in, contestants must yell their first name. This is also a good way to learn kids names if you don’t know everyone on the bus! If there’s a tie or it’s confusing as to who buzzed in first, have them play Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who gets to answer.
- If you’re at the front of the bus on the microphone, it gives an advantage to kids sitting near the front so I usually ask the kids that want to play to move closer to the front or station another leader near the middle in the aisle so they can help me judge who buzzed in first.
- Let the leader standing in the aisle also be your score keeper, writing down kids names when they get a question right or wrong.
- Each question is worth 1 million points. It’s the exact same as each question being worth one point, just funnier.
- Wrong answers are NEGATIVE 1 million points and as soon as a wrong answer is stated, anyone else can buzz in by yelling their name.
- Have 4 different rounds and increase the point values each time like below. It’s annoying to the kids who already have points, but it’s funny and makes kids want to keep playing. If you have a REALLY long ride, break up the 4 rounds into different parts of the trip. “Always leave kids wanting more.”
- Round 1- 1 million
- Round 2- 2 million
- Round 3- 5 million
- Round 4- 10 million
Hope it goes well!
50 Trivia Questions For Bus Trivia
- Name a state that is only 1 syllable? Maine
- Who invented the printing press? Gutenberg
- Name an actual word in the dictionary that rhymes with any of the following words: month, orange, silver, or purple. There is none.
- Within 25 years, when was the 1st American Thanksgiving? 1621
- In Roman mythology, Neptune is the equivalent to which Greek god? Poseidon
- How many different ways are there to make change for a dollar bill, over 200 or under 200? 293
- Name the only rock that floats. Pumice
- What famous childhood cartoon was based on 3 girls with super powers? Powerpuff Girls
- Name all 7 continents in alphabetical order. Africa,Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America
- What is the name of the vicious tree that Harry and Ron drove into in ‘Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets’? The whomping willow
- What are the little people called in Willy Wonka? Oompa Loopas
- How many animals of each kind did Moses take on the ark? (Trick question- none, Noah took 2 of each kind, Moses didn’t take any)
- Who discovered Bieber? Usher
- How long (within 1 minute) does it take light from the sun to reach the earth? Approximately 8 minutes and 18 seconds.
- Name an actual word that ends with the letters “mt.” Hint: Martin Luther King did it: dreamt
- What jewelry accessory store is organized by color? Charming Charlies
- How many NFL teams are in the state of NY- name them all- Jets, Giants, Buffalo Bills
- What does “G.I.” in G.I. Joe stand for? Government Issued
- What is the smallest country in the world? Vatican City Population, total population 1,000.
- What tree gives us prunes? The plum tree.
- Where is the Suez Canal? Egypt
- What does “CPR” stand for in medical emergencies? Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Which Ranks highest in a game of Texas Hold ‘Em? A. 3 of a kind, B. Straight, C. Full House, D. Flush? Full House
- What is a cummerbund? A tuxedo belt
- Name 5 of the 6 men pictured on our dollar bills, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50?
- 1- George Washington
- 2- Thomas Jefferson
- 5- Abraham Lincoln
- 10-Alexander Hamilton
- 20-Andrew Jackson
- 50- Ulysses S. Grant